Tuesday, December 01, 2009

1






A post a day for me in December, day 1.

Refrigerator pickles. I love cucumbers. We have a lot in the garden this year and they are spreading enthusiastically. I love pickled goods, especially cucumbers, and particularly when dill is added to the mix.

I haven't tried this before, but it's been on my list for a while. Lebanese cucumbers super fresh and so crunchy. 4 cups of water to 3/4 cup of white wine vinegar. Stir in 4 tbs of salt (preferably kosher but whatever you have). Lay fresh dill at the bottom of your jar, squeeze in cukes all snug and tight. Slice garlic to taste and pop on top ( I used 2 cloves), I also added more sprigs of fresh dill, some mustard seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds. Cover with brine. Top with cling wrap and leave on counter for a couple of days to sour then seal with lid and transfer to fridge. Eat often!

See you around day 5 with feedback.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh yum, I cannot believe you have all of those cucumbers already. I am so jealous.

SadieandLance said...

Oh yum! I tried this a couple of years ago, but I did a stove top one. Mine weren't successful though cause they grew some white mould like thing. Can't wait to hear how yours go!

Feronia said...

They look delicious!

CC said...

Yum! I've made bread and butter (sliced) cucumbers before but not whole pickled ones. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Jasmine said...

Yum! If yours turn out I'm going to have a go. My favourite bought dill cucumbers seem to have disappeared from the shops!

Kiki said...

I'm dying to know how these have turned out, it's nearly time to find out! ;)