Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Danes



What's not to love about them and their country. Gorgeous cities and even more beautiful countryside. Amazing design, fantastic beer, great looking men and beautiful women.

One of my life's dearest friends is Danish. She and her then boyfriend, now husband, moved to London not long after we did. Her friendship is one of the best things that happened to me in London and one of the things I miss most about being there. Before this horrible economic situation really hit they were planning a trip over this year, but I guess that's on hold now.

This recipe is one of my mum's - not quite sure where she came across it. It's super easy, one of those cakes you can just knock up in minutes with whatever you have and, like all things Danish, it's delicious.


Danish Type Cake

30g sugar (I use 4 tbs as I'm not good with weighing)
4 oz of butter (I guess that around 120g)
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup wholemeal or white SR flour
1 egg
2 tbs sultanas
1 cup fruit of your choice

1. Melt butter in a saucepan, add sugar and stir until it starts to disolve.
2. Add flour and beaten egg
3. Put half mixture in the bottom of a 7" pan (BE SURE IT'S NO BIGGER THAN 7", otherwise your cake will turn out like a biscuit!). Spread with your filling of choice, sprinkle with sultanas and spices. Spread rest of mixture over the top.
4. Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes.

In this cake I used fresh blood plums from my parents tree. If your fruit is ripe, no need to cook it, just cut and place on top. Apples I'd probably cook lightly first.



PS If I were brave enough, or perhaps just in another life, I'd love to be food stylist and/or photographer - a cool and yummy job.

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

Sounds yum and easy - good combo. As you know, I share your secret desire to style and photograph food. Perhaps a future change of career?

Glad to know your folks are ok. We're keeping a close eye on Healesville too. Unbeleivable set of events.

Kirsty said...

Not always yummy...ours recently used fishing line & detergent on a turkey...ewwww. But I agree, it's a pretty good gig.

Also glad that the threat for your folks isn't immediate.

Anonymous said...

You are just the best... I really miss you.

I will be watching your blog - and I hope that you and your parents will be ok.

The cake looks delicious. I guess I have to try it out. Would be easier though if you made one and I the coffee ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely! What make of camera do you use? My photos never seem to come out this well! Glad too that the threat has passed up at Healesville.