Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Good mail takes many forms

Two items I've been long awaiting arrived in the mail today.

The first I'm sure many of you have seen mentioned on other sites. I treated myself to a Lisa Leonard necklace, I think they're gorgeous, very dainty and light, with names so discreet it's not like you're wearing a logo item. I just find something lovely about carrying the girls names around - even though they're clearly always with me.


The other item you may find hard to believe that I have been waiting for more than the first. I've been wanting to get to the gym for the past 18 months, since I got over Leila's initial 6 months. It's been high on my list of desires, but honestly low on my list of achievables.
While I feel the need to justify my seeming laziness, there are reasons - lack of babysitting options, clingy children, etc, I know you understand. Geoff gets up at a ridiculous time to go running in the mornings before work - I just don't have that level of commitment, never have. Whilst I am a morning person, sleep is too precious to me to sacrifice 2 hours of it as the sun is coming up, whatever the pay off. Evenings are the opposite, by the time Geoff's home it's after 7pm and then getting girls to bed, dinner etc - I have no energy left at the end of the day. I know, if it was important enough I could go without dinner yada yada.... In reality though, the only way exercise works for me, is if it actually fits in so that I am happy with the balance of my day. So.... I'm a bit of a suck for Biggest Loser - I know, but I find something so intriguing about it. I ordered one of Jillian Michaels dvd's, the name is so embarassing - 30 Day Shred.

I don't so much want to lose weight as tone up. My weight has always been pretty consistent and I only weigh an extra 5 kilos now from when I was 17. It's not a brag, not at all, for the distribution of my body is soooo different to then, and it certainly can move on its own, but it comforts me to know that weight loss isn't the issue. Everything is just softer and you just cannot ignore it forever. It's also the fitness, climbing stairs and puffing, running around and feeling things wobble, I'm sick of it. I'm turning 40 this year and if I don't get on top of this now, I feel it's only going to get harder.

So, I did my first session today, with both girls in the lounge room supervising. It only took 20 minutes, which even I can manage, and it was great. I feel I've done something, I'm happy to do it again tomorrow and who knows, in 30 days there may be a change, I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh... I love Lisa Leonard! I am wanting a similar necklace with my two sisters name on it.

Can't wait to hear about the 30 Day Shread DVD - I have it in my cupboard waiting to come out... too nervous I imagine to try, and then fail.. you've inspired me to get it out tonight! Good luck!

Unknown said...

I've found the Wii Fit really good for me the last three months. I'm concentrating so hard on what is going on on the screen that I don't notice time passing or how many reps I've done. The novelty value is lasting far longer than I thought it would which is nice.

Anonymous said...

How funny, I signed up with Fernwood on Tuesday and have my first session tomorrow. *yikes* Complete with being weighed, measured etc.
I have been walking everyday but it's not toning - and like you that's what I need to do.

Good luck :)

Anonymous said...

I have wanted a necklace like that since my little girl was born. Thanks for sharing! What chain length did you get?

Christie said...

I am going to get fit this year too, everything is a lot softer these days & I want to get some tone back

Just need to find the time now!

Sandy said...

I've been going to the gym for a few months now, but going after the babes are in bed has been a challenge. I haven't been making the progress that I've been hoping. It's kind of hard at 9:00 at night! Good luck! I'm rooting for you!

Manda said...

perfect timing for your beautiful necklace :-)

Tamara said...

Oh let me know how you go. I am like you, not too much weight difference since I was younger, just shape difference. I need tone too.

Nice necklaces, they look great on you.