Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Belated Recipe

Back in December I mentioned that it wasn't Christmas for me without panettone. I promised a couple of people the recipe back then but it's only today, when I have none left in the freezer and I'm about to make some more, that I'm getting around to it. You see, it's not just a Christmas thing for me, it's an everyday treat.

The recipe I used is, amazingly, from a Donna Hay magazine and it's been brilliant. I say amazingly because overall I find that her magazines are representations, ideas or assemblies rather than true recipes - this one is an exception.

Panettone (adapted from Donna Hay issue 12)

2tsps dried yeast
1 cup (250ml/8 fl oz) warm milk
1tsp caster sugar
3 1/2 cups of plain (all purpose) flour
pinch salt
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
185g softened butter
1 tbs finely grated organge rind
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup sultanas
milk for brushing

Place the yeast, milk and sugar in a bowl, stirring to combine. Leave for 5 minutes until foamy. Sift half the flour and hte salt into a bowl and add the yeast mixture stirring until fully combined. Cover and place in a warm spot for 45 minutes or until spongy and risen.

Add the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla, then stir in the remaining flour and the soft butter. Place the dough in the bowl of an electric mixer and using a dough hook, knead for 8-10 minutes. Alternatively knead the dough by hand for 10-15 minutes until springy, soft but not sticky (add a bit more flour if needed)
My note here, I do this by hand and it is a little hard to work with to begin with and offputting if you're unfamiliar with the recipe. It kind of separates, goes rubbery and looks like you've done something wrong. Be patient, work the dough, add a tbs of flour at a time if it's really unmanageable and it will come back.

Preheat the oven to 190C or 375F. Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl and stand for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and add the dried fruit and orange rind.
My note here again. The recipe says that you then make it into your individual panettone, but I like to let it rise again with the fruit, so I leave another 45 minutes I guess - but you can just let it rise in the bags/tins.

Chop the mixture into 6 roll into a balla nd place into a muffin tin (1/2 cup capacity). Allow to rise ina warm place for 45 minutes brush each with milk and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and baked through.
My note again - I certainly get a lot more than 6, more like 12 for me, in those muffin tins.

Enjoy every morning for breakfast toasted with lashings of butter and a hot cup or tea or coffee on the side.

1 comment:

Pina said...

Thanks for the recipe. As soon as my oven will be clean again (men!), I will try to bake them. Mmm, I can't wait.