Monday, December 01, 2008

Two by Two


Our icing of cookies is never very, well, controlled. I can manipulate a traditional cake icing bag, but the girls have a lot of trouble with it. I guess the management of squeezing and holding the nozzle at the same time can be a little like patting your head whilst rubbing your tum.

I know you can buy pre-prepared icing in squeezy tubes, but I don't like to partly because of the cost but mainly, icing is such a simple thing, you surely don't need to buy it and also have additional additives added to the mix? I recently saw something, I think in Martha Stewart or definitely something US based (of course I can't find it anywhere now), where you could buy soft plastic sauce type bottles that the icing nozzles fit onto. They then concertiner down (the profile was like a pleated skirt) so you could squeeze every last drop out of it. Those, I think, would be quite easy for a child to manage.

Has anyone seen/bought anything like this within Australia or know of someone who ships here without customs issues?

9 comments:

Pina said...

Is this time already? To bake biscuits? To get some presents? Cute gingerbread men, a pity that you are so far away!

I usually use a little plastic bag with a tiny, tiny hole on one of the corners for the icing.

Miss Muggins said...

I love your gingers. Try putting the icing in a snack sized snaplock bag and then snip the corner off

Blogging Molly said...

those cookies look delicious. me - i leave the cookie decorating up to my mother-in-law. she came over last week and decorated turkey cookies with the kids. bless her heart (and decorating skills).

t h a i t r a i t said...

Yum, these are fabulous...

Chris said...

They look perfect to me! Kid decorated, the best kind of cookies :).

Prue said...

I've only seen that sort of bottle for craft glue. And I have no idea whether the piping bag nozzles would fit into them...

Sarah said...

Ummm I NOW feel like ginger bread men! Not sure if I am patient enough to wait till icing LOL

Paula said...

Great photos!! And also being able to remember to take them step by step :) is wonderful

honesty*rain said...

i too think the plastic bag with a tiny tiny hole in the corner is very effective for not only kids but adults as well when fancy icing tips are not required.

i haven't made gingerbread men in a few years and you've got me thinking we'd better give it a go this year. they are just so tasty!

we made blueberry coffee cake tonight. my son was working the dry ingredients like a mad scientist!