Saturday, November 15, 2008

Australiana 1


Everyone has different ideas of what is typically of their own country. As far as Australia is concerned there are the externally typical such as Kangaroos, Ayres Rock (excuse me, Uluru), Koalas, Sydney Opera House etc. Then there are the icons for those who actually live here or are from here. For me, this is one of them, a very Australian treat, a plain sponge filled with pure whipped cream and topped with passionfruit icing. I confess that my recipe for icing failed me - it soaked in and ran off rather than sitting sweetly on top, but my defence is that my heritage is not Australian hence I couldn't ring my mum (although I'm sure my mum in law would know).


A lovely family dinner (which always makes Leila say "YEAH MUMMA FAMILY DINNER") with french bubbles (as all birthdays demand) and a belated birthday cake, the aforementioned passionfruit sponge made by yours truly.

5 comments:

Jacoline said...

Looks to good to eat. Great!

Cindy said...

That looks like one happy Mum, It looks like a great birthday should be, with family - and bubbles of course.

Lindsay said...

mmmm looks delish! I love passionfruit pavolva too, that always seems very Australian to me

Jasmine said...

Happy (belated) birthday! You may have had to work but it looks like the cake, the bubbles and the company would have made up for that!
xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo of you and your girls!